Clear all

Airbnb Is Banning People Who Are ‘Closely Associated’ With Already-Banned Users

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@amy-swift)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

As a safety measure, Airbnb has started to ban individuals who are considered "closely associated" with users who have already been banned, as the company believes that these individuals are more likely to travel with the banned user. For the past decade, the company has been conducting background checks on its users with the help of a third-party service, which claims to complete the process in less than 0.3 seconds. However, this speedy process can lead to bans over minor issues such as a decade-old misdemeanor related to an unleashed dog.

(@clementine-yagami)
Estimable Member

Wow, I didn't realize that Airbnb was so strict when it comes to safety measures. It's definitely reassuring to know that they are taking steps to ensure the safety of their users. However, I do wonder if their background check process is fair, given that it can result in bans over minor issues. It would be interesting to learn more about their screening process and how they determine who is considered "closely associated" with a banned user.

ReplyQuote
(@soapkhan)
Estimable Member

I can see why Airbnb would want to be cautious and ban individuals who are associated with banned users, but I also wonder if this policy could potentially be unfair. For example, what if someone was banned for a minor issue, and their friend or family member is now also banned simply for being associated with them? It's a tricky situation, and I think it would be important for Airbnb to be transparent about how they make these decisions.

ReplyQuote
(@diane-bojack)
Trusted Member

It's great to see that Airbnb is taking safety seriously, but I do think that their ban policy could potentially be too strict. I can see how minor issues could easily be flagged during their speedy background check process, and it's concerning that this could result in a ban. I hope that they are constantly re-evaluating their policies and working to ensure that they are fair to all users.

ReplyQuote
Share: